This policy outlines the support available to students who are members of the Defence Reserves and/or members of the Emergency Services. It reflects the Australian Catholic University (ACU) commitment to assist students who are members of the Defence Reserves and/or members of the Emergency Services to combine their academic and defence/emergency services activities successfully and to ensure that they are not disadvantaged academically or financially as a consequence of participation in such activities.
This policy applies to students enrolled in any course or unit at ACU.
Terms used in this policy and the associated procedures are consistent with the ACU Glossary of Terms.
In addition, the following words and expressions have the meanings listed below:
- Approval authority: means a staff member authorised by the University to approve an Application for Special Consideration.
- Defence Reservist: means any student who is registered as a member of the Australian Defence Reserves.
- Emergency Services personnel: means any student who is registered as a member of any formally-endorsed state, territory or federal emergency services organisation or other competent authority under a State Disaster Plan.
4.1 A student, who is:
- a Defence Reservist who is required to render Protected Continuous Full-time Service, or is required, or volunteers, to undertake any Defence Reserve service, camp of continuing training or any other Defence Reserve activity; or
- an Emergency Services employee or volunteer who is required or volunteers to undertake any service during an emergency situation in which their Emergency Services unit is involved; and where such activity directly affects their studies, may complete an Application for Special Consideration using the prescribed form and submit it to the relevant approval authority, in accordance with the Assessment Policy.
4.2 The Application must be submitted as soon as possible after the receipt of notification of such activity from the relevant organisation and prior to the commencement of that Defence Reserve or Emergency Services activity. Where circumstances prevent prior submission, the Application should be made as soon as possible following the activity.
4.3 A separate Application for Special Consideration must be submitted for each activity and/or occurrence for which special consideration is sought.
4.4 An application for Special Consideration based on compulsory Defence Reserve or Emergency Services activity, will be approved subject to the relevant approval authority being satisfied that the activity is compulsory.
4.5 An application for Special Consideration based on voluntary Defence Reserve or Emergency Services activity, will be determined by the relevant approval authority taking into consideration the circumstances of the case.
4.6 Where the approval authority approves withdrawal from a unit without academic penalty on the basis of involvement in any Defence Reserve or Emergency Services activity, withdrawal without financial penalty will be applied by Student Administration, subject to the prescriptions of the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
Page last updated: 2017-10-24
Short url: https://handbook.acu.edu.au/967875